Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Dual Coding

It is important for designers to consider Dual Coding during their sketch and drawing process, because Dual Coding is all about how we respond to ads. In my personal opinion this Nike ad is not very appealing. When I read the text I can read and understand it, but it is not very attractive or catching. It does not draw me in and make me want to continue. Then when you look at the background, the colors are very dull and the letters are stark red. I think that the wall appears dirty and old. I also think that the picture is of a gym wall or a locker room, but I am not sure. I understand that Nike is trying to appeal to those that play "locker room" sports, but there is a wide range of people that wear Nike. I wear Nike and I do not play sports. I think that this ad is not very effective in gaining the attention of those customers or soon to be customers that do not relate with a sport or a locker room. I may have read way too much into this ad, but I do not feel that it is the type of ad that would make someone say, "hey, I want to go buy a pair of Nike's."

No comments: